National News

Subscribe To This Feed

JOSH EDELSON/AFP/Getty Images(SANTA CRUZ, Calif.) -- Evacuations remained underway for hundreds of residents near California's Santa Cruz Mountains Tuesday as firefighters continued to battle the fast-moving Loma blaze.

The fire, which started Monday around 3 p.m., had scorched at least 1,000 acres and was 5 percent contained, according to the Cal Fire Santa Clara Unit earlier Tuesday.

Record-breaking, triple-digit heat in addition to California's drought helped fuel the blaze, driving the flames from just a spark to more than 3 square miles Monday. More than 500 firefighters were working around the clock, with more on the way.

"After dark, as we're fighting fire in unfamiliar terrain -- with obviously dangers of the fire itself and the movement of the fire -- it definitely presents a considerable amount of danger to us, you know, besides just that firefighting aspect," Capt. Christopher Salcido told ABC News affiliate KGO-TV in San Francisco.

Mandatory evacuation orders were announced for Little Uvas and Croy roads, according to KGO-TV. Cal Fire said that 300 structures were threatened. The National Weather Service radar station was forced to shutter after flames started lapping near the building.

One firefighter was reportedly injured and Cal Fire said that two homes had been destroyed.

"I'm a little nervous," Mary Lindsay told "I can see all the smoke billowing up from the fire."

The fire's cause remained under investigation.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Peter Zay/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images(CHARLOTTE, N.C.) -- Peaceful protesters crowded Charlotte, North Carolina's first city council meeting since the cop shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, with over 50 people speaking out against police violence.

But none of them stood out Monday quite as much as a young girl.

Zianna Oliphant, her hair done up in braids and tears streaking her face, brought into focus the stress police shootings place on children, as well as the pain the black community of Charlotte has suffered in the wake of Scott's death last week.

“I’ve been born and raised in Charlotte. And I never felt this way until now and I can’t stand how we’re treated,” the grade-school girl said, wiping away tears.

She expressed the hardship that children face when a parent dies. Scott himself, who was African-American, had seven children.

“It’s a shame that we have to go to their graveyard and bury them. And we have tears. We shouldn’t have tears. We need our fathers and mothers to be by our side,” she said.

Zianna, as well as the protesters in the room who chanted "no justice, no peace" after she spoke, helped to underscore the degree to which communal wounds have been slow to heal in North Carolina’s most populous city since the shooting.

Protests started on the streets of Charlotte after news of Scott's shooting broke last Tuesday and, occasionally, became violent as they continued deeper into the week.

The scene grew especially tense Wednesday night when police clad in riot gear fired tear gas and rubber bullets at demonstrators. Some people in the crowds threw bottles and rocks at officers and passing cars, blocked an interstate highway, surrounded and jumped on vehicles, looted businesses and stormed the entrance of a Hyatt hotel, injuring two of its employees.

At the city council meeting, Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts called for decorum at several points during public remarks. At several points, protesters yelled criticism of her and Police Chief Kerr Putney.

After the meeting wrapped up, The Charlotte Observer reported, more than 20 protesters moved to the lobby of the Government Center.

“Release. Release. The whole damn tape,” the protesters chanted, according to the newspaper.

Ray Dotch, Scott's brother-in-law, on Monday called for the release of the entire video of his shooting in an interview with ABC News.

Chief Putney has released body and dashboard camera videos of the fatal police shooting of Scott, answering to demands made by community leaders, protesters and politicians. But it is not entirely clear from those videos or from the one taken by Scott's wife, Rakeiya Scott, that the victim had a gun on his person, as the police allege. It is also not entirely clear that he brandished it in such a way that would have posed a threat to the officers who approached him.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Courtesy Dylan Ryder(NEW YORK) -- A firefighter was killed and multiple people were injured in an explosion and fire at a house in New York City Tuesday that contained evidence of a possible drug lab inside, according to the New York City Fire Department.

FDNY Battalion Chief Michael Fahey and other local fire department members originally responded to the home early Tuesday morning after a caller reported a gas odor, Fire Commissioner Dan Nigro said at a news conference Tuesday. While investigating and evacuating the area, the single-family house exploded and subsequently caught on fire.

A large portion of the house's roof struck Fahey in the head and injured 12 other people on the street, Nigro said. Fahey and those injured were transported to a local New York-Presbyterian Hospital, where Fahey succumbed to his injuries and died.

"We lost a hero today and our members are all saddened," Nigro said.

The New York City Police Department had been investigating the home as a possible marijuana grow house for a few weeks, Police Commissioner James O'Neill said at the news conference. O'Neill added that no one has been arrested and that the cause of the explosion and fire are under investigation.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said it was "a very sad day for our city." He added that Fahey was a 17-year veteran of the FDNY and a beloved father of three.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa) — Residents of Cedar Rapids, Iowa watched warily Tuesday as floodwaters continued to rise to levels not seen since record flooding in 2008 that caused some $10 billion of damages and claimed one life.

The Cedar River approached 22 ft. in the city Tuesday morning, on its way to a crest of 23 ft later in the day, according to National Weather Service predictions. The water was causing major flooding already, with a growing list of streets and highways being shut down

The city laid some 250,000 sandbags in preparation of Tuesday's crest, constructing 10 miles of temporary levees around low-lying areas of the city.

"Residents are reminded that 16 feet is considered major flooding, and the river is predicted to crest at 23 feet," city officials warned. "Temporary flood control measures have been constructed over the last 2-3 days in an effort to contain rising water, but are no guarantee of safety."

"We have seen the system working," mayor Ron Corbett told KCRG, a local ABC affiliate. "We built this [barrier] to 26 feet... so it isn't an issue of the water going over the temporary system. It's really more of pressure over a 48-hour period that we're worried about a breach or a compromise in the system."

Even as the mayor praised the city's preparations, he warned about the lingering danger of the floodwaters.

About 1,400 homes and 400 business could be inundated if the temporary flood wall fails, the Des Moines Register reported. A breach in the barrier could send a dangerous surge of water streaming into the city.

"The crest is the peak but the river is going to fall slower than it has risen," Corbett said. "So really we have this critical period now. If we can get through this, if the system works, we will have saved Cedar Rapids from the second largest disaster in our community's history."

Members of Iowa's National Guard arrived in the city on Monday to assist in the flood preparations, KCRG reported. Guardsmen helped police patrol evacuated areas, and enforce an 8 p.m. curfew.

Col. Greg Hapgood of the Iowa National Guard told KCRG the hard lessons from 2008's disaster helped bring about a higher level of preparedness.

"2016 is a totally different year," he said. "The water is not nearly as high. The city of Cedar Rapids has done an amazing job preparing for it. They are so far ahead of this particular flood than 2008, when they were trying to play catch up."

ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(BOSTON) — A boater who was recently rescued after spending eight days at sea in a life raft has finally arrived back on land in Boston, where he is expected to be reunited with family and friends and interviewed by the Coast Guard. His 54-year-old mother, Linda Carman, remains missing.

Nathan Carman, 22, was dropped off in Boston's harbor Tuesday morning by a Chinese freighter called the Orient Lucky.

The freighter had been carrying Nathan Carman since Sunday, when he was found more than 100 nautical miles from Martha's Vineyard, according to Coast Guard Petty Officer Nicole Groll.

It had been more than a week since the 22-year-old and his mother were reported missing by family and friends, Groll told ABC News.

Nathan Carman was found in a life raft with food and water. Linda Carman, however, was not in the raft and has been presumed dead, Groll said at a news conference Monday afternoon.

The Carmans, who are from Middletown, Connecticut, had originally set out on a fishing trip from Point Judith, Rhode Island, on Saturday, Sept. 17, and were reported missing the following day after failing to return, Groll said.

The Coast Guard performed an exhaustive search for the Carmans for six days, covering an area larger than Georgia, according to Groll. The search was suspended on Friday, Sept. 23, after the Guard failed to locate them, though a freighter located Nathan two days later.

After being rescued, Nathan Carman told Coast Guard officials that his 32-foot aluminum center console boat had taken in water sometime on Sept. 18, Groll said.

He also explained to officials that when he went to escape in the vessel's life raft, he could not find his mother.

The Carmans' boat sank near Block Canyon off the coast of New York, Groll said. She added that no mayday call had been made from the boat, though it was unclear if the vessel had a radio.

Coast Guard officials are hoping to get a "clearer understanding" of what happened to the boat Tuesday.

On Monday, family and friends hung yellow ribbons and signs on the Carmans' home, ABC television affiliate WTNH reported.

Family friend Sharon Hartstein told WTNH that Linda Carman was a "momma bird" who would protect her son "at all costs."

"I was thrilled that they found [Nathan], and then I was devastated that Linda wasn’t with him," Hartstein said, adding that she and the family still hope Linda will be found.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(HOUSTON) -- A gunman who wounded nine people near a shopping center in Houston Monday morning was dressed in a "military-style" uniform and had Nazi emblems, police said.

Police first received a call of firearm discharge at 6:29 a.m. local time. When they arrived at the scene, the suspect, a lawyer, was inside his car armed with two guns and firing randomly at people passing by. Police shot and killed the gunman and he was pronounced dead on scene, according to the Houston Police Department.

More than 75 shell casings were recovered from the scene from shots fired by both the gunman and officers, Houston Police Department Captain Dwayne Ready said at a news conference tonight.

Six people were transported to the hospital for injuries, including one in critical condition and one in serious condition who are expected to survive. Three others were treated and released, police said.

Investigators searched the suspect's vehicle and nearby apartment. Nearly 100 pieces of evidence have been collected thus far, police said.

Officials recovered a .45 semi-automatic handgun, .45 semi-automatic "Tommy Gun," 2,600 rounds of live ammunition as well as vintage Nazi emblems and civil war paraphernalia from inside the suspect's Porsche and person. Nazi emblems and military items "going back to the Civil War" were also found inside the man's apartment, Ready said.

Officials would not confirm the name of the suspect, who police say is believed to have acted alone.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the FBI are assisting the ongoing investigation.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner, who is in Cuba for a trade mission, told ABC-owned station KTRK-TV that the incident may have been related to the suspect's work.

"[The suspect] was either fired or had a bad relationship with this law firm," Turner said.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Meghan Keneally/ABC News(HEMPSTEAD, N.Y.) -- The 2016 presidential race has turned Hofstra University into something of a campaign carnival Monday ahead of the first debate of the general election.

There was a marching band performing for cable news, cheerleaders doing routines among reporters, and college students — many of whom are going to be voting in their first election — were transported back to their childhoods with free turns in a White House-shaped bouncy castle.

The lively, fun-filled atmosphere here in Hempstead, Long Island, doesn’t hint at this year’s rather acrimonious political climate.

Erin Daley and Monica Feijoo, both 19-year-old sophomores, are planning to vote for Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton respectively, but their different political allegiances didn’t stop them from enjoying the free ice cream and T-shirts being handed out near the school’s student center today.

“Peace is possible,” Feijoo joked.

Another set of sophomore roommates, Abby Salamon and Hadas Hayun, were more politically aligned, telling ABC News they’re both planning to vote for Trump.

“Even though it doesn’t seem like he has all of the knowledge or information he may need right now … I think he’ll grow into the position [once elected],” Hayun said.

Though college campuses tend to skew liberal, it comes as little surprise that the Republican scene at Hofstra is fairly vibrant. In the 2012 presidential election, President Obama did win Nassau County with 52.9 percent of the vote, but Mitt Romney was right behind him with 46.9 percent. Trump has had several large rallies on Long Island.

For an even more old-school effect, many of the students have turned to sidewalk chalk to air their opinions. Some opted for politically charged statements -- “Let Gary Debate” was one, while Black Lives Matter supporters also made their mark. There were also a number of Harambe shout-outs that served as a reminder that this is all taking place on a college campus.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(VINTON, Iowa) -- Iowa residents are waiting nervously as the swollen Cedar River rises steadily to its highest levels since a devastating flood in 2008 that caused some $10 billion in damages and took one life.

The river in Cedar Rapids is now 19.4 feet, a level at which major flooding can occur, officials said Monday.

The city's mayor, Ron Corbett, said only an estimated 50 percent of residents in lower-lying areas designated for voluntary evacuation had complied. Altogether, about 5,000 people live in the evacuation area, The Des Moines Register reported.

Corbett said he "won't drag people out but please, please leave."

“It’s crunch time in Cedar Rapids," the mayor said at a news conference Monday morning. "The next 48 hours are the most critical, are the most dangerous.”

“The next 48 hours we need 100 percent cooperation from the citizens in both the evacuation area and outside the evacuation area,” he said. "I want to make sure the confidence we have doesn’t let our guard down."

Authorities had asked residents living in designated evacuation areas to leave by 8 p.m. Sunday evening in anticipation of flooding. The mayor also issued a nightly curfew within the evacuation area from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m., starting Sunday evening and lasting until further notice.

The National Weather Service predicts that the river will crest Tuesday morning.

“This will likely go on record on the second-largest flood in the city's area." Jen Winter, public works director of Cedar Rapids, said at the press conference. For safety, she said, “no one should be walking, biking, or driving, within this evacuation area.”

The city is preparing for the worst, making preparations for “water rescues and water-based operations,” by staging boats on both sides of the river.

“Waters are rising, so please remember to be safe and stay out of flooded areas,” Fire Chief Mark English said. “Six inches of water can knock you down, two feet of water can sweep your car away.”

The river crested in the town of Vinton at just under 22 feet at 3 a.m. Monday, less than three feet shy of the record in 2008.

Floodwaters invaded streets, inundating homes, businesses, parks, yards and stopped traffic in parts of the town.

"I think it could have been a lot worse," resident Becci Sloan told KCRG-TV, a local ABC affiliate, hours before the river crested. "There's going to be a lot of trash left over and a lot of wood and debris."

Emergency crews stood vigil, preparing for the worst.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- President Obama weighed in on the Native American movement to block a disputed oil pipeline Monday as he hosted more than 500 Native American leaders for his eighth and final White House Tribal Nations Conference as president.

“I know many of you have come together, across tribes and across the country, to support the community at Standing Rock and together you’re making your voices heard,” the president said to applause.

“And in a spirit of cooperation and mutual respect, we’ve made a lot of progress for Indian country over the past eight years, and this moment highlights why it’s so important that we re-double our efforts to make sure that every federal agency truly consults and listens, and works with you, sovereign-to-sovereign,” Obama continued.

The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe sued to block construction of the four-state Dakota Access pipeline earlier this summer, citing concerns over potential water contamination and destruction to what they deemed to be culturally sacred sites. The tribe also argued that they were never meaningfully consulted on the project before construction began.

While a judge in Washington denied the tribe's request for a temporary injunction, the Department of Justice, the Department of the Army and the Department of the Interior intervened with an unprecedented joint statement requesting "that the pipeline company voluntarily pause all construction activity within 20 miles east or west of Lake Oahe."

Kelcy Warren, chairman and CEO of Energy Transfer, denied the tribe's claims, writing in an internal memo that "concerns about the pipeline’s impact on the local water supply are unfounded" and "multiple archaeological studies conducted with state historic preservation offices found no sacred items along the route."

Last Friday, the Department of the Interior, Department of Justice, Department of the Army and other federal agencies officially invited the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe for consultations on "how the Federal Government can better account for, and integrate tribal views, on future infrastructure decisions throughout the country."

The movement to block the 1,172-mile pipeline, being built by the Texas-based company Energy Transfer, has united tribal groups and environmental activists from across the nation, with hundreds still camped out near the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe's reservation in North Dakota.

Chairman Dave Archambault II of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe praised the Obama administration's relationship with Native American tribes, saying, "Along with the ongoing review of this pipeline, the Administration has taken a major step forward by initiating consultation on nationwide reform on the protection of tribal interests regarding infrastructure projects. We will continue to advocate for the protection of our water, lands and sacred places, and the necessary respect as Indigenous Peoples."

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(MIAMI) -- Surveillance video from a South Florida gas station caught the moment a woman jumped on top of a man's car after he allegedly stole her purse, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office (BSO).

The incident happened on Sept. 17, while Janelle Della-Libera, 32, was pumping gas, according to the BSO incident report obtained by ABC News Monday. Della-Libera heard someone open and close the driver's door of her vehicle and then saw a man running with her purse in his hand.

As the suspect got in his car and attempted to drive away, Della-Libera "jumped on top of his vehicle's hood, attempting to prevent him from fleeing," the incident report said. As the suspect "started accelerating," she was "forced from the hood to the windshield and then to the front part of the vehicle's roof."

The suspect then "made a sharp right turn," and Dell-Libera "lost her balance and fell down between the vehicle's body and the opened driver's door," the incident report added. "The suspect's vehicle then ran over the victim's left ankle and fled the area."

Emergency personnel checked Della-Libera at the scene before she was transported to a hospital by her husband, according to the report.

Della-Libera told ABC News Monday that she suffered a severely sprained ankle, in addition to multiple cuts and bruises.

"It literally feels like I've been hit by a bus," she said. "I was actually hit by a car, so I guess that's pretty close."

"While it was going on, every single second, I was just like, 'I can't believe this is happening, I can't believe this is happening!'" she added.

After watching the surveillance video more than 50 times, Della-Libera said she thought she "could have handled the situation better" but she does want other women to know that "they have the power to fight back."

"My instincts just took over and I did everything I could to try to not be taken advantage of," she said. "If anything, I hope this reminds people to always stay vigilant. We're a generation of multitasking and doing a million things at one time, but it leaves us vulnerable to people like this. So just always be aware of who and what's around you."

The suspect caught on the surveillance video was not identified nor located as of this afternoon, according to BSO public information officer Joy Oglesby.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Skagit County DEM(BURLINGTON, Wash.) -- The suspect in Friday's deadly mall shooting in Washington state confessed to police in the shooting that left five people dead, according to charging documents.

He faces charges on five counts of first-degree murder and is being held on $2 million bond, charging documents show.

Authorities identified the alleged shooter as Arcan Cetin, 20, of Oak Harbor, Washington. He was arrested Saturday in Oak Harbor after authorities received a tip that linked him to the shooting "as a person of interest," the Skagit County Department of Emergency Management said.

Cetin apparently had a falling out with his father prior to the shooting, the arrest warrant declaration in the case shows. His mother helped to identify him from surveillance camera images released by police.

Cetin was spotted walking on a sidewalk and then taken into custody. He was unarmed, did not resist arrest and was in a "zombie-like" state, Lt. Mike Hawley with the Island County Sheriff's Office said during a news conference Saturday.

Friday's shooting occurred in the evening at the Cascade Mall in Burlington, Washington, about 65 miles north of Seattle. At Saturday's news conference, police said that the gunman first entered the mall unarmed and then re-entered with a firearm. He opened fire in the makeup department of Macy's.

Four women were killed and a man later died from his injuries Saturday at a Seattle hospital, said Sgt. Mark Francis, a public information officer with the Washington State Patrol.

Although police initially said Cetin was Hispanic, authorities later said that he had immigrated from Turkey and is a legal permanent resident of the United States.

Police have said they believe Cetin acted alone and the FBI said it had no indication that the shooting was linked to terrorism.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Photodisc/Thinkstock(CHARLOTTE, N.C.) -- Keith Lamont Scott's alleged possession of a firearm at the time of his shooting death would not on its own be a reason to forcibly disarm him, according to two legal experts.

Police announced on Saturday that lab analysis had revealed the presence of Scott's DNA and fingerprints on a loaded handgun recovered from the scene by investigators.

Charlotte Police Chief Kerr Putney also released body and dashboard camera videos of the fatal police shooting of Scott, answering to demands made by community leaders, protesters and politicians, but it is not entirely clear from those videos, or from the one taken by Scott's wife, Rakeiya Scott, that the victim had a gun, or that he brandished it in a way that would pose a threat to the officers who approached him.

Police also released evidence of an ankle holster and a marijuana cigarette. Police have alleged that Scott was rolling a marijuana "blunt" in his car.

ABC News spoke to E. Gregory Wallace, a professor at Campbell University School of Law in North Carolina, and Joseph E. Kennedy, a law professor at the University of North Carolina, about the state's open carry gun laws, and they agreed that short of "brandishing" a gun, the presence of a handgun on Scott would not on its own justify an attempt by officers to disarm him.

States like California and New York ban the practice of carrying handguns in public, and some states allow open carry under a license, but North Carolina is among the 31 states that do not require a license.

There are limitations to the law, however; one's criminal history, drug use or immigration status can forfeit the right to carry a gun.

Wallace noted that if the police saw the marijuana cigarette in combination with the gun, it might be enough to justify forcibly disarming Scott because of the implication of illegal activity, but police would have needed to have seen both at the same time.

"The mere display of a firearm in the city of Charlotte doesn't give police cause to detain or disarm a citizen," Wallace said.

Wallace said that the videos fail to show the encounter that lead to his shooting, leaving many questions about the incident unanswered. He separates the Scott incident into two parts: the decision to disarm Scott, followed by the decision to shoot.

"The video doesn't cover any time prior to having guns drawn," he said. "My question is: What was the cause of the initial approach?"

The video released by police shows Scott exiting a white SUV. He backs away from it with his hands at his sides, and doesn't appear to be acting in a threatening manner.

Officers can be heard shouting, “Drop the gun!” in the video.

Scott was shot multiple times. He can be heard in the video moaning in pain as officers apply handcuffs to him.

Kennedy told ABC News that in North Carolina, someone can legally challenge a police officer's request to put a gun down.

"Having a gun makes you armed, but it doesn't necessarily make you dangerous," he said.

He spoke critically of open carry laws, and said that the laws put both citizens and police officers in an "impossible situation" due to the legal justification for citizens to be armed in public.

He added that without a gun in Scott's hand, the shooting of him should be considered "grossly negligent" on the part of police.

Wallace added that if it could be determined that Scott had his weapon in his holster at the time of the shooting, it would be a "game changer," noting that it would not have put the police in enough danger to warrant shooting him.

Ray Dotch, Scott's brother-in-law, called Monday for the release of the full police video, saying that he hopes Americans will take "an absolute unflinching look" at prejudice and police-involved shootings and that "we as a nation tell the truth about who we are."

It is unclear whether or not the full video will provide clear evidence of what happened during the initial approach to Scott's vehicle, or whether or not he had a gun in his hand at the time he was shot by police.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Courtesy Landom Momberg/@landonmomberg(VAIL, Colo.) -- Catie Bossard was thrilled when her boyfriend of a year proposed while they were atop a mountain during a visit to Vail, Colorado.

But when, seconds later as the couple's family and friends started running toward them, Zach Baldwin asked Bossard if she wanted to get married that same day, well, she couldn't contain her emotions.

"That was when it kind of hit me," she told ABC News. "I'm like, 'Yes! Yes! Let's do it.'"

The Denver, Colorado, couple's surprise wedding was actually two months in the making. Baldwin, 25, told ABC News that he "got this idea one day having dinner with a co-worker."

"He was joking about having our family all in town and knocking it all out in one day," Baldwin said. "When I thought about it more and more. It just seemed too perfect."

So Baldwin planned that the two would drive from their shared home in Denver to Vail. He then dropped to one knee on the top of a Vail mountain after a scenic gondola ride.

"I can honestly say absolutely everything fell into place as I had envisioned it from the beginning," Baldwin said.

Bossard, 24, recalled that as their family and friends came over to congratulate them, her fiancé had a second question. "He said, 'My second question is do you want to get married today?'"

After the bride-to-be was on board with the whirlwind plan, the two popped open a bottle of champagne and returned to their hotel to prepare for the wedding set for four hours later.

Bossard was thrilled when she found out that her best friends along with her sister and mother had thought of everything -- from her wedding dress and undergarments to her makeup and hair accessories.

Her mother had even brought her great-grandmother's handkerchief, which she tied around the bouquet. She also wore her grandmother's pearls.

As far as decorations, well Mother Nature took care of that.

"It was simple but beautiful," Bossard said. "With the scenery, you don't need much up there. There's no need for any flowers. The entire view of the mountains behind you: that alone takes your breath away."

The couple is now looking forward to their honeymoon. Bossard said they plan to backpack through Costa Rica in November.

For now, they're looking forward to living as husband and wife.

"I am looking forward to experiencing everything life has to offer with Catie," Baldwin said. "She brings a light into every situation that cannot be contained and inspires me everyday to be the best husband I can be."

"He makes me a better person," Bossard said. "I love being around him and I love enjoying life with him, whether its traveling, being at the house, working out. I’m excited to spend my life with him."

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — Cities across the country suffered an uptick in violent crime last year, including a nearly 11 percent jump in murders from the year before, according to new statistics compiled by the FBI.

There were 1,197,704 violent crimes committed around the nation last year -- a 3.9 percent increase from 2014, according to the FBI's Uniform Crime Report. However, last year's statistics were still slightly lower than in 2011, and more than 16 percent below the 2006 level, the FBI said Monday.

It's important to note that big jumps in violent crime in only a handful of U.S. cities can drive the national average up. Some cities, like Chicago and Los Angeles, saw more than 24,000 violent crimes each last year, while so many other cities and towns across the country experienced single-digit or no violent crimes at all.

Overall, murders accounted for nearly 15,700 of last year's violent crimes, and nearly three-quarters of them were committed with firearms, according to the FBI report.

"The report shows that there was an overall increase in violent crime last year, making clear what each of us already knows: that we still have so much work to do," Attorney General Loretta Lynch said at a violent-reduction summit in Little Rock, Arkansas. "But the report also reminds us of the progress that we are making. It shows that in many communities, crime has remained stable or even decreased from the historic lows reported in 2014. And it is important to remember that while crime did increase overall last year, 2015 still represented the third-lowest year for violent crime in the past two decades."

Lynch said the nation must not become "complacent" about violent crime.

"The residents of communities where violence remains a fact of daily life care little whether overall crime rates are up and down," she said. "And in the raft of data and analysis that can so often define our work, we must never forget that all of our numbers reflect the lives of real people."

She emphasized that "there is no single cause of violence, and solutions will vary from one community to another."

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(POINT JUDITH, R.I.) -- The U.S. Coast Guard announced Monday afternoon that it has decided not to re-open a search for a 54-year-old Connecticut woman who disappeared after she and her son went on a fishing trip last week.

Though her son, 22-year-old Nathan Carman, was found alive after eight days at sea, Linda Carman remains missing, according to the Coast Guard.

But, the Coast Guard has decided not to re-open the ocean search for Linda Carman since she likely has had no food, water or a life raft -- and thus, a zero to minimal chance of survival, Coast Guard Petty Officer Nicole Groll said.

Linda Carman and her 22-year-old son, Nathan Carman were first reported missing Sunday, Sept. 18, after failing to return from a fishing trip they began from Point Judith, Rhode Island the previous day, according to Coast Guard Petty Officer Nicole Groll.

The Coast Guard performed an exhaustive search for the Carmans for six days, covering an area larger than Georgia, Groll said. The search was suspended on Friday, Sept. 23, after the Guard failed to locate them.

But two days later, a Chinese freighter called the Orient Lucky found Nathan Carman more than 100 nautical miles from Martha's Vineyard, Groll said, adding that he was in a life raft with food and water. Linda Carman, however, was not in the life raft and was nowhere to be found.

Nathan Carman is currently on the freighter and scheduled to arrive in Boston sometime Tuesday evening, Groll said at a news conference Monday afternoon. She added that he was in good condition.

The 22-year-old told Coast Guard officials that their 32-foot aluminum center console boat had taken in water sometime on Sunday, Sept. 18, Groll said.

Nathan Carman said that when he went to escape in the vessel's life raft, he could not find his mother.

Groll said the boat sank near Block Canyon off the coast of New York. She added that no mayday call had been made from the boat, though it was unclear if the vessel had a radio.

Coast Guard officials hope to get a "clearer understanding" of what happened once Nathan Carman gets to Boston, according to Groll.

Meanwhile, yellow ribbons and signs expressing hope have been hung on the Carmans' home by family and friends, ABC affiliate WTNH-TV reported.

Family friend Sharon Hartstein told WTNH that Linda Carman was a "momma bird" who would protect her son "at all costs."

"I was thrilled that they found [Nathan], and then I was devastated that Linda wasn’t with him," Hartstein said, adding that she and the family still hope Linda Carman will be found.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


KJC Kennel Club





"Always in our Heart! "

LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services